Benefits Of Nungu (Palm Fruit) & All About Nungu
Palm fruit is an amazing, tasty summer fruit that solves all the problems due to intense heat. It is called nungu in Tamil, is a refreshing treat for those languishing in India’s insufferably hot summers. It is called Ice-apple in British English. The Asian Palmyra palm or Sugar palm tree is full of healthy stuff. It is a natural coolant for the body. It is known to contain Vitamins A, B-complex and C.
Benefits Of Nungu (Palmyra Palm Fruir):
- The fruit is a natural coolant for the body.
- The fruit contains vitamin A, B and also Vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid.
- It is rich in minerals too. Minerals such as Potassium, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus and Zinc are found in the fruit.
- The pulp from the mature fruit is used to cure Dermatitis.
- It is also known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
- It has been used in the treatment of nausea and vomiting and also worm infestation.
- It has also been used as an expectorant and as a laxative.
- The pulp of the fruit is known to cure a number of inflammatory conditions of the skin.
- The sap is used as a tonic, laxative, for treating ulcers and liver problems.
The fleshy stems are found to be very nutritious and fibrous. The tender fruit pulp is eaten raw during summer because it gives a cooling effect to the body. The ripened fibrous outer layer of the fruit can be eaten raw, boiled, or roasted.
The ripened pulp of the sugar palm is jelly like tender, flat and round with a light brown skin. The inner portion is a juicy socket structure. It has a mild sweet taste. The pulp or the seeds become harder as they grow older.
Availability of Nungu in India
Nungu grows in the dry, tropical regions of mid and southern India. The trees are ubiquitous throughout Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Goa, and Kerala. These plants thrive in sandy soils, but are also hardy, drought resistant plants.
There is no uniform cultivar of nungu. Each region may have a slightly different type of fruit that varies in size and color. The taste, however, is generally uniform throughout these cultivars.
Palm fruit season is May through August.
Where to find Nungu in India
Street vendors readily sell the fruit in the summertime. Outside of these months, one must be content with coconut water. Few (if any) shops sell packaged fruits because of cut nungu’s rapid deterioration.